Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Floral Friday: Aug. 4

The garden centers are filled with echinaceas, and I couldn't resist adding some to my garden. Here's Echinacea 'Sombrero Granada Gold', with flowers that look like they could be buttons on a little girl's dress. I love how the petals are a hue of creamy butter. By the way, have you listened to Echinacea Evolution yet over on the Still Growing podcast?


For the past year I've been collecting blue wine bottles, and I finally accumulated enough to build a bottle tree for the front garden. (I allowed some non-blue bottles on as well.)



My containers are really popping right now with color, offset with the black eye Susans behind them. In addition to blue wine bottles, I've been collecting cobalt blue pottery for almost five years now. (I like to buy them at discount stores.) Last year I scored a large blue birdbath as well!


Speaking of large pottery pieces, I also bought this one last year (below) but moved it under the pear tree for this season. I saw this plant combination at a nearby eatery and totally fell in love with it. I was lucky to be able to acquire the same plants to use in my garden. Their version was in a whiskey barrel, but I think the blue pot really makes the trailing plant combos pop.


I found this adorable birdhouse at the grocery store and of course it had to come home with me. 


Continuing the tour of the front garden brings us to daylilies...



... and roses ...



... and of course, phlox. Here's 'David,' among his many pink variation friends.



Above the phlox is the Satsuma plum tree. I love the colors of the fruit, and the phlox makes a beautiful bokeh in the below photos.



Going along with the purple edibles theme are my purple bush beans, growing in my Eco Garden System.


I'm really looking forward to trying these 'Gladiator' tomatoes from Burpee!* I was lucky enough to be part of the sample plants program this year. I can't wait to see how they taste!


I found this "intruder" on my parsley. I brought him inside to raise with the other caterpillars.


I wanted to end with a view from the border of my neighbor's garden of her black eye Susans and asparagus. Isn't it a pretty combination?


What's blooming in your garden this week?

* I was part of the Burpee sampling program this summer and was provided with plants to grow. I will be filling out a survey soon on how they performed in my garden.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig