Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Plant lust: 'Black Gold Philodendron'


The Black Gold Philodendron in my living room. This is not its permanent location -
I have it on the other side of the room with my other philodendrons. It gets late day
sun. 
What was I thinking? I let houseplant lust take over during a recent visit to Logee's and I came home with Black Gold Philodendron (Philodendron melanochrysum).

When I saw it the first time, I was struck by the color of its leaves: iridescent black-green with pale green veins. Then I circled back to admire it again and before I knew it I was on my way to the register.

I didn't realize it was a rare plant. (Surely the price should have tipped me off.) I was told at checkout that it is difficult to propagate, which increases its rarity status.

I've been carefully watching it, and trying to decide which place it will be happiest in my home. (It developed that yellow lower leaf when it was too close to my growlights. Now in its new spot, it gets indirect sun in the living room.)

I've been doing some planty research via Google, and it turns out this will become a fairly large plant, and will eventually need a pole to grow on for support. It's poisonous, too, so I need to keep it away from my house rabbits. (I had suspected this when I brought it home.) Eventually, when it's no longer in 'juvenile form' (which mine is now), it will produce 2 foot long leaves. (Whoa.)

See what happens when you let plant lust take over? 😂 It should be interesting to see how this future mammoth plant will fit in my compact home.

Have you ever brought home a plant that was a major splurge? Let me know in the comments below!

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig