Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Floral Friday: June 23

Happy summer everyone! Wednesday marked the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, and as if right on cue, the hydrangeas and delphiniums began to bloom. 

I'm especially happy to see the hydrangeas blooming now, because the frigid winters from the last two years caused the buds on my hydrangeas to die. (I quickly learned how many of my hydrangeas bloomed on old wood when the cold temperatures ruined my spring blooms!) The variety shown below is 'Endless Summer,' which blooms on both old and new wood. 



I love when the delphiniums begin to bloom in my garden. Below is a pretty lavender one that I bought on clearance last year at a local garden center sale. Do you grow delphiniums in your garden yet? Read more about this fabulous, colorful. cheerful perennial here.


My Proven Winners* 'Supertunia Lovie Dovie' is continuing to blossom in its hanging planter this week. In the basket are two 'Lovie Dovies' paired with a non-spreading strawberry and a dwarf chrysanthemum. Last year was my first year growing Proven Winners with sample plants provided by the company, and I was so impressed with the Supertunia line that I went to my local garden center and bought more for use in borders around my property. Needless to say, when I saw 'Lovie Dovie' was being offered as a trial plant this year, I immediately said, "Yes please! And thank you!"


Another new Proven Winners I'm growing this season is Karalee Petite Pink Gaura, shown below (left) in a blue pot with 'Night Sky' petunia. It will eventually reach 14 to 20 inches tall. Also shown below (right) is my Proven Winners 'Opening Act Blush,' which I received as a trial plant last year. This is the first time it has bloomed, and it is lighting up the front corner of my garden bed. It is also blooming before any other phlox variety in my garden (they usually begin to bloom after July 4). It will stay on the shorter side (reaching only 20 inches tall), unlike my towering phlox.


I really like when plants have their own intentions and create fabulous combinations. This white penstemon combined with my magenta rose campion in my holdover bed (basically where I put plants temporarily) and the result is airy and beautiful. I'll be moving these two to a permanent location together. 


I'm extremely happy that the milkweed is beginning to bloom! I have several varieties and I hope they attract monarch butterflies this season. 



On the edible front, I am excited to see how well my edibles are growing in my new Eco Garden System**. Here's a peak of the veggies so far: lettuce in late afternoon sun and bush beans started from seed. I will be writing more about this new self-watering raised bed in the coming days!



It also looks like it will be a good year for the grapes! I'm hoping I can get to them before the birds this year!


And of course, my Kieffer pears are growing bigger each day. It looks like pear jam will be in my future!


What's growing in your garden this week?

* Proven Winners provided me with sample plants to grow in my garden this growing season. 

** Eco Garden Systems LLC provided me with a raised bed to test in my garden this season. 

To see last week's Floral Friday, click here
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig