Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Floral Friday: Jan. 26

Prior to last year, my only knowledge of growing amaryllises was as a bystander. As a child, my mother grew amaryllises (only reddish orange ones) and I remember the trouble she went to in order to get them to bloom again. I never really gave them much more of a glance.

Last year was the first time I tried growing amaryllis bulbs over the winter. I was persuaded to give this bulb a chance by my gardening friend Julie of Garden Delights. (She adores these flowers.) So I purchased a bulb named 'Red Lion' and when it finally bloomed, I couldn't believe how deep the red coloring was (photos really didn't do it justice).

This fall I decided to experiment with some more. I focused on striped, white and double varieties. Last week this beauty was in bud (see here). Now, 'Dancing Queen' has stolen my heart and given me a new appreciation for amaryllises.



Her main flower opened slowly last weekend, and the other three buds gradually opened throughout the week. Now all four flowers are in bloom, and a second flower shoot is growing steadily. I bought the bulb in the fall at a local garden center and potted her up in regular potting soil in a terra cotta pot. I wanted to make sure the pot was heavy to begin with, since sometimes these flowers can become top-heavy and can topple over.

And if 'Dancing Queen' became injured, that would definitely be a crime.






My other three amaryllis varieties are in the process of growing. I can't wait to see what they look like when they bloom!

Are you growing amaryllises this season?
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This is truly beautiful!! You have taken some awesome photos of this flower. Thank you for sharing. I love the details within it.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig