Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Five Annuals I Would Grow Again

"Yellow Cosmos" turns white as the flower ages.
I grow a lot of flowers, so when something grabs my attention, I view it as a keeper. Here are my top five flower picks that I will be growing again in 2015.

Seeds of Change - "Yellow Cosmos"
I have to be honest: I complained a lot about this plant throughout the growing season. It took forever to grow, it didn't like partial sun (only full sun), and it looked a little ugly without flowers. But then it bloomed in early fall when everything else was dying back ... and now I want to grow it again. The pale yellow flowers graced multiple stems that were 3 to 4 feet tall, and as the flowers aged, they turned white from the inside out. (It was so cool.) Seeds of Change unfortunately won't be offering them for sale in 2015 but will be in 2016. I saved some of my own seeds so here's hoping they are viable!
"Frances' Choice" marigold is large and in charge.

Seeds of Change - "Frances' Choice" Marigold
Get rid of whatever preconceived notions you have about marigolds being for amateur gardeners only. This marigold is a winner, and coincidentally another selection from Seeds of Change. I fell in love with this flower as it intermingled with my tomatoes this year. It's a tall variety that grows 4 to 5 feet tall (think a small shrub) by mid- to late- summer. It attracts bees and keeps blooming right until frost. I can't imagine my vegetable garden without it now. But maybe next year I won't plant it right on top of the driveway, since it liked to hug my husband when he got out of his truck.

Wild Garden Seeds - "Strawberry Blonde" Calendula
"Strawberry Blonde" calendula blossoms are pretty - and tasty.
Wild Garden Seeds has a huge selection of calendulas to choose from, but this remains one of my favorites. This calendula makes the prettiest flowers that are perfect for bouquets. They can be eaten, too. (My rabbits especially enjoy these as a treat!)

Select Seeds - Nicotiana "Cranberry Isle"
Pansy "Bolero See Me" reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.
It's been a couple of years since I've grown nicotiana in my garden, and it looks like 2015 will be the year they return with vengeance. I've missed this tall flowering tobacco which has beautiful flowers in purple and pink hues. It will self-seed in the garden if you let it. It likes sun and a little room, but it will intermingle with other plants nicely, too. This is one of the prettiest flowering tobaccos sold by Select Seeds, with "Bella" being a close second.

Swallowtail Garden Seeds - Pansy "Bolero See Me"
I love to start pansy seeds in late January and early February (right when you need a kick of spring the most), and Swallowtail Garden Seeds offers a huge (and what I think is the best) selection of pansy and viola seeds. I often go back to this variety due to the dark pink face the flower has. They are also edible flowers that look great as a garnish on a spring birthday cake.

What flowers will you be growing in 2015?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig