Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Floral Friday: Bird and butterfly highlights

One of the perks of having an organic garden is centered around the wildlife that visits. The hummingbirds, butterflies and wrens are all making the garden their home, which means great photo opportunities for me. Here are the highlights from this past week.

Of course the hummingbird arrives when I didn't have the right camera settings. But here she is
with the Proven Winner's cupea.

The first monarch butterfly of the season, visiting the butterfly bush. This is the earliest I have seen them in the
garden in a long time. 

This one was a female.

Here is the spicebush swallowtail butterfly, which I often get confused with the black swallowtail. This one
is bigger than the black swallowtail, which is my main point of reference when identifying. 

Here she is again. I love the blue. I think she laid eggs on my spicebush in the back garden.

I still need to ID this butterfly - but its just so tiny and cute.

Here's the wren, scolding me for being so close to her nest.

It's a good year for phlox!

Daylily season continues. 

Here's a detail shot of the same flower. It is 'Marque Moon.'

I love how this 'David' phlox came out in the photo! Look at the petals!

The anemones are starting to bloom.

Along the front walkway is a fairly large group of black eye Susans I inherited
from my neighbor.

These provide a great pop of color in the middle of summer.

Looks like the cherry tomatoes are coming!

What's blooming in your garden this week?

Here's what was blooming in my garden last week.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig