Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

How I keep my Jungle Velvet Calathea happy


Jungle Velvet Calathea (Calathea warscewiczii)

This plant does well in medium light, in moist soil and high humidity. My house was not humid enough for the plant originally, so it was not doing well. Most of the leaves dried up and became crispy.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to transplant the small plant into a small terrarium to rehab. I was very happy when I saw that it was doing well in this environment.

However, it was outgrowing the original terrarium, so I purchased a larger, two gallon glass jar with a lid for it to continue to grow in. 

Watch the short video to see how I upgraded it to the larger container. 


Tip: When transplanting the calathea, try to dig around the root ball without disturbing the roots. Long-handled terrarium tools work well for this.

When adding water to the container to settle the soil and plant, be careful not to overwater. The plant will not grow well if the soil is soggy.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig