Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Garden Update: Hot and humid, but flowers don't mind

The heat and humidity have become a permanent reality in Connecticut, making it feel more like August than July. The cicadas have arrived, as well as the Japanese beetles, the latter of which has luckily not become a nuisance yet. The garden is taking the extreme weather conditions in stride, and I'm thankful that I'm not in the part of the northeast that is suffering from drought right now. There's been a lot of watering to keep everything happy, but luckily my two rain barrels help divert the use of the garden hose.

The vegetables I grow in the driveway in fabric grow bags are beginning to resemble a little green oasis in the middle of the pavement. As for flowers, the phlox is starting to bloom out front, and I find that I am looking at many of them and wondering if I had actually planted them - or if they have cross-bred and these are actually new plants with new colored blossoms. (A good reason to save those plant tags, which I have been bad about doing!)

Here's a look at what's happening this week in the garden.

Daylilies along the patio.

This pumpkin is taking off - along with some corn.

The tomatoes and pumpkins in the driveway are looking pretty lush.

This hanging geranium is one that I kept inside overwinter - it's just starting to rebloom.

This 'Social Butterfly' Hollywood Hibiscus is just lighting up the container garden.


Still no monarchs in the garden, but plenty of these little guys.

From the "I don't remember planting you" files ...

Phlox in many different colors.

Lots of honeybees on the coneflowers. 

This tiger swallowtail butterfly dropped by the visit the bee balm.

The first dahlia to bloom out front! 
To see what was blooming in my garden last week, click here.

What's blooming in your garden this week?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig