Organic gardener growing food and flowers, lovin' pollinators and birds.

Floral Friday: Oct 13

This past weekend, I was cleaning up my garden and trimming back perennials when I realized the seeds I had collected looked a lot like a bouquet. I went inside and asked my husband to take a photo of me holding the seeds, and lucky for me, I was wearing already wearing an orange shirt (which was definitely too nice to be working outside in but was the perfect color for this season). 

He thought I was a bit crazy, since the flowers are gone and I had him take a photo of dead flowers, but there's something I find beautiful about the milkweed pods with their white fluff, the orbs of echinacea and bee balm, the tulip shape of the columbine seed pods, and the dots of feverfew seeds, which remind me of baby's breath. 

There is beauty in seeds and the end of the season, but we just often overlook it.


For blooming flowers this week, there's an unintentional purple and white theme. For the first time this year, I am growing giant autumn crocus. This variety is Colchicum Water Lily. It has been considered an heirloom bulb since 1928. I was beginning to think the bulb I planted was eaten by voles when one day, the flower suddenly appeared. I only wish it could have bloomed longer.



The verbena bonariensis is still blooming and attracting bumble and honey bees.


And the montauk daisies are blooming by the front door. (You may even spy my new rabbit statues, which I was inspired to find after the Garden Bloggers Fling.)


The dendranthema 'Sheffield Pink' has spread along my driveway, providing large mounds of pink daisy-like flowers. (I really should move some of these plants to the back garden so I have something blooming back there.)


The New England asters do not disappoint, providing food for honey bees, bumble bees and migrating monarchs. Lately I've had monarchs arrive in pairs, which makes me more excited when I see them outside.





I finally planted the hens and chicks that I bought back in May. I put it near a brick border with hopes that it obtains heat from there. I hope it survives the winter.


For edibles, the Eco Garden is steadily producing food, such as cucumbers and lettuce.




What is blooming in your garden this week? 

To see what was blooming last week, click here.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig